Structural Design Specialist
Based in - Shanghai
Travel - Required
Deadline - May 13th
The goal of Canada Wood’s technical transfer initiatives is to increase the capacity todesign and build with wood. This involves advising architects, engineers,construction managers and regulatory officials who typically work with concreteand steel but are not familiar with wood.
The Structural Design Specialist will join Canada Wood’s design team,collaborate with other department teams and report to the TechSupport and Architectural Design Director.
Applicantsshould have a degree in structural engineering with a minimum of 3 projects asan engineer. A registered professional engineer is preferred, and a minimum of 4 to 5 years work experience as a structural engineer. The candidate needs tobe a strong communicator with a collaborative work style.
This is adynamic position requiring a diverse skill set. Design experience is aprerequisite, but we are also seeking someone with good communication skillsand an interest in mentoring other designers. The Structural Design Specialist provides input on structural engineering issues for several uniquepurposes:
· To produce technical literature anddesign case studies for Canada Wood.
· To provide design guidance oncommercial projects.
· To instruct groups of designers who arenew to wood.
· To introduce wood building systems in promotionalseminars.
Skills and Abilities
· Functional with design software.
· Experience creating and deliveringtraining seminars.
· Able to explain the difference betweenthe light wood frame system and heavy timber construction in terms ofconnections, loads, codes, and basic materials.
· Has an existing network ofrelationships in the construction sector.
· International work experience an asset.
· English and Chinese language fluency anasset.
· Knowledge of Chinese building codes,permits and approval processes.
· Understands wood design variables forseismic performance, sound, energy efficiency, and moisture control.
· Basic understanding of materialscosting and quantity surveying.
On the surface, this job isabout showing Chinese construction industry personnel how to design with wood.In practice this position is about identifying viable ways to localize aforeign construction technology.
To apply for this position, please send resume, coverletter, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org . Interviews will be held in English.
About Canada Wood
Canada Wood is a not-for-profit organization representing associations from theCanadian wood industry. Canada Wood operates market development programs over-seasin Asia and Europe. We are conducting several initiatives in China including technical transfer and training for wood construction.